Monday, November 22, 2004

Markets, Museums, Massages, and Mihara

Yesterday was Sunday, which now seems like a very long time ago. It was nice...what an incredible thing that the Japanese government is doing here by not only giving us a paid trip with the opportunity to learn about the life, culture, and educational system of Japan, but by giving us free time to explore their country. We are blessed.

Anyhow, yesterday Janelle and I ate breakfast then headed on foot to find a flea market near Shinjuku station. We got a little lost along the way, asked several people for directions, and bought some tasty treats from a convenience store (do you know they make green tea Kit Kats? They're pretty delicious and have an entire flavor process). I bought a kimono, a wooden Japanese doll, and a wooden box with kanji characters on it at the flea market. Afterwards, we headed to Ueno Park, walked around the park a while [I was amazed to see how many homeless people live in the park- Tokyo is a big, expensive city, but I never realized there was such a problem with homelessness in a country with such a social structure]. We walked through a very interesting cemetary, visited the International Children's Library, and visited the National Museum, where we also had lunch.

Afterwards, we headed back towards the hotel and went to a place to get Shiatsu massages. It was wonderful!! The lady really knew what she was doing and rubbed a lot of tension out of some of the sore spots on my back. I could hardly get off the table at the end of the hour and felt loopy for the rest of the night (I'm even a little sore today, but in a yeah-there's-so-much-less-tension-in-my-back way).

Today, I had to part ways with my new friends (which made me really sad!), and headed to the small town of Mihara. We flew to Hiroshima, actually, and visited the University there this afternoon. We had the chance to visit with some teachers and students in the English Education department and it was quite interesting.

We've just arrived at the hotel, which is very different from the one in Tokyo. In fact, it feels kind of like being on a overnight train (well, a little bigger than that). However, they have high-speed wireless internet, so I really can't complain that much! We're going to wander around the city and have dinner shortly, so I"d better end this.

Special shout out to Simon, T'Kheya, and Allison for their e-mails! Keep 'em coming, guys (especially since I have fast internet now...I'll be able to check them much easier)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home