Thursday, December 02, 2004

gratitude

I know that there are some of you who are checking the blog every five minutes to see what's new in Japan: to you, I apologize for the lack of information on the events of the last few days. Since we have returned to Tokyo it has been a whirlwind of meetings, dinners, late night karaoke sessions, etc. Also, being as how we're back at the Keio, the return of dial-up internet has slowed my blogging process.

Regardless, I'm posting now.

I cannot fully express my gratitude to the Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Teacher Program and the Government of Japan (and the many others) who have given me this opportunity. What a blessing it has been. I still can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that they are fully financing all 200 of us here in their beautiful country just so we will go back and share it with others. Let me tell you though, the man who came up with this program (Mr. Inoue) is a genius. What better way to share Japan with thousands of people thousands of miles away than by having educators experience it. Remarkable.

I have learned so much, seen so much, done so much, had so many wonderful experiences, met so many fabulous people, and been so greatly affected (in some ways that may take a little while to manifest). When I applied for this a year ago, I really didn't know or care that much about Japan; now I'm planning which cities I'll hit next time I'm here. It's going to take me a while to process it all, so if you see me next week and ask me how it was, I'll let you know now that I'll likely say, "Wow, it was amazing. Go to the website if you want to read all about it." Please don't consider this rude, but be prepared.

I really need to throw the last few things in the room into my suitcase, so I'm going to wrap up. To those of you who've been along for the whole ride, thank you for journeying Japan with me/vicariously through me. I hope some day you can experience it for yourselves. For now, sayonara.

Ichi go ichi e: one moment, one meaning. Treasure every one you have been given.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home